This pre-departure orientation document is for those coming to Hopitaly Vaovao Mahafaly (HVM) as workers or for more than three months. Workers require work permits and both categories must obtain a visa before arriving in Madagascar.
People coming from overseas to serve God in Mandritsara do so through ‘Amis de Mandritsara’, or AM-FM, a branch of the ‘Friends of Mandritsara Trust’ (FOMT) in the UK. AM-FM is registered in Madagascar as a non-governmental organisation. We hope that you find the following information helpful as you prepare to join the AM-FM team.
Please also read the general orientation document outlining the history and organisation of the project.
Once you arrive in Mandritsara, there will be a programme of orientation before you start work and you will receive much more information about living here. Please note that some things will vary depending whether or not you are coming with a mission agency.
Please read this carefully- and avoid problems when you get here!!
Home country preparations
- Timetable – estimated timescales
- Work permit – see ‘Steps to go’ Step 3
- Visa – see ‘Steps to go’ Step 4 and Step 7
- Things to bring – toiletries, medical supplies, clothings, etc
- Communications – address, laptop, smartphone, internet, etc
- Financial considerations – money, budget, insurance
- Living in Mandritsara – accommodation, meals, etc
- Arrival and staying in Tana – getting through the airport, where to stay
- Departing Tana – travel from Tana to Mandritsara – MAF, Helimission or taxi-brousse
See you soon!
We hope that this has been helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions. We look forward to seeing you soon.
God bless and bon voyage!